Image: Damian Lillard of the Portland Trail Blazers (left, in red) during an NBA basketball game against the Oklahoma City Thunder in Portland, Oregon on January 10, 2016 / James Schumacher / Wikimedia Commons
1. How will Saudi Arabia react now that Belgium has just become the first country to make a woman the ambassador to it? We'd like to think with tolerance and respect, but the reality may well be different.
2. What was Ian McKellen thinking? He obviously wasn't.
3. Can we talk about casual homophobia and sports? The heckling of NBA superstar Damian Lillard, of the Portland Trail Blazers, with vicious anti-gay slurs by fans at a recent game is sparking a national conversation about casual homophobia (is homophobia ever casual?) at sporting events.
4. How big of a deal is it that US intelligence claims the North Korean military was behind the WannaCry cyberattack? Considering WannaCry is widely considered one of the most damaging global cyberattacks ever and threatened critical national infrastructure, it seems likely the US will retaliate with cyberattacks of its own against the Asian nation, which could lead to more bellicose threats of a physical war.
5. What caused a brand-new train to crash in the US? That's what officials are looking into, after a crash in Washington state killed several people.Support Villainesse